The history of the Maison G.H.Mumm and its wines started before 1827, when the maison was officially founded. The origins of the Mumm family, whose dinasty also includes barons and knights, date back to the 17th century. In 1761, the family started the wine production and commerce in Koln, under the label of P.A. Mumm, the owner's name, Peter Arnold Mumm.
In the early 19th century, Arnold's three sons, Gottlieb, Jacobus and Philipp understood the commercial potential of the sparkling wine from the French Champagne region. Relying on the good relationships between Germany and France, the Mumm brothers decided to open a branch in Reims in 1827, supported by a local wine-grower, G. Heuser.
Quality was the key-world of the company from the beginning up to know. This philosophy has been summarised by Georges Hermann Mumm: "Only the best".